Weightbot is both a commercial success — having sold over 100,000 copies — and a beautiful example of creating a custom UI on the iPhone (Video). It won Best App Ever’s Most Original User Interface award.
The interview is in three parts: (1) the origins of the app, (2) creating custom UI controls and (3) promoting the app. The last part is virtually a step-by-step guide to successfully promoting an app — be sure to catch it.
You can listen using the Flash player below, download the MP3, or subscribe to the iPhone Developer Podcast using the instructions at the bottom of this post.
For easy scanning of the interview, here is what was covered and when:
- 1:55 – Avoiding the mundane and the tedious in utility apps
- 2:20 – Inspiration from Wii Fit and Wall-E
- 3:20 – Creating utility that “do one thing really well and are fun to use”
- 4:50 – Communicating the design for implementation
- 7:00 – Programming custom UI controls
- 8:45 – Making the “flicking” behavior of a custom scroll-like view work properly
- 10:45 – Moving the bounds of a view to create the spinning/scrolling effect
- 14:00 – Pre-launch buzz
- 14:40 – TUAW picking up the pre-release screen shots
- 15:30 – Viral buzz from a demo video on YouTube
- 15:45 – Getting on Daring Fireball
- 17:15 – More sales on the weekend
- 17:30 – Big jump in sales from getting on Lifehacker
- 18:00 – Mac Rumors boost
- 18:10 – New Years resolution bump / importance of Europe and the UK
- 18:45 – Making a good amount of money even when not in the top-100
Keep up to date with our iPhone developers’ podcast
Subscribe to our iPhone Development Podcast in one of two great ways:
- Use the podcast’s feed with the feed app of your choice: http://podcast.mobileorchard.com/feed/podcast/
- Subscribe using iTunes by clicking here.
We hope you enjoy the podcast, and if you have any suggestions of who we should interview (or want to be interviewed yourself), use our Contact page or leave a comment against this post. Thanks for listening!